Bell Ringing

St Saviour's has 8 bells hung for full circle ringing. They were cast by the Whitechapel foundry, Mears and Stainbank in 1888 and the largest bell weighs just under 18cwt, in the key of E. They were restored in 2002 with new fittings but in the original oak bell frame. There is also a small Sanctus bell, cast in 1868 by Taylor's of Loughborough, which was the original bell for the church before the tower was built. This bell now hangs in the room below the 8 bells and is rung during the Parish Mass on Sunday's. 

 

They are rung by an enthusiastic band of ringers of all ages on Sunday mornings before the Parish Mass from 10:15am - 10:55am. Practice nights are on Wednesdays from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. They are occasionally rung before a weekday evening Mass, and this is normally a quarter peal (45 minutes continuous ringing). They are also rung for any extra special services that take place and for various special occasions. 

 

Visiting bands of ringers are always welcome; please contact the tower secretary Jan Hookey - janhookey@outlook.com.

 

New ringers are also welcome to come along on a Wednesday evening from 6:15pm to see the bells, have a go and meet the ringers. Please contact the tower captain, Kieran Downer, for more information. downer1994@hotmail.co.uk 

Bells nos. 1, 3, 5, 7
Bell no.4
The ringing room
Bells arivng in June 1888
The Sanctus bell, the original bell for the church, cast in 1869

For enquiries contact Father David Lawrence-March on 

Webmaster

© 2023 by HARMONY. Proudly created with Wix.com